Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Samsung i900 (aka OMNIA 1st gen) Re-review

As some of you know, I bought a Samsung Omnia 2 years ago during my first year in uni (you can read about it here: http://gilbertchia.blogspot.com/2008/09/responsible-use-of-wealth-sirach-13-3.html). At that time, touch phones were just getting popular and iPhones were already marking their territory all over the place. My previous phone was a Nokia 3250, which was fine and all, but I gave it to my sis before coming over to S'pore.

Big n Bulky

Like they say, when in S'pore, do as the S'poreans do. So there I was getting my hands on my first ever touch phone. It was cool at first, having a phone without a keypad. Then, the problems started cropping up, namely, windows, and samsung. Having a windows os meant that the phone was really laggy and even though it didn't hang very often, it didn't exactly go at the speed of sound either. Internet on the phone was a nightmare. I'd rather go to the library and access the web there than to stare like a dummy into my phone for ages waiting for pages to load. Another downside is that there is an irreplaceable earphone, literally. It only came with the original phone, and can't be purchased. This, along with not-so-stainless 'call' and 'end-call' buttons and a 'lost' navigation system, is a big enough letdown for me. It didn't help that samsung had very poor customer service, with only ONE service centre in the WHOLE country. However, it wasn't all that bad, especially with a very reliable 5mp camera (probably my favourite function of the phone). 

Very expensive letdown

What's the next step, you ask? Well, having used a touch phone, keypads just don't feel the same. And although there's windows mobile 7 and samsung has already improved a fair bit from then, but considering the bad experience with windows and samsung, they're both out of the equation. Honestly, I see a lot of potential in Android phones. I haven't tried any of them for myself, but I've been hearing good reviews so far. Who knows, the future might actually belong to droids after all (for the record, apples are meant to be eaten. period)

No comments:

Post a Comment