Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Missing 'Mojo'

After 10 weeks or so in my not so new environment, I realised that my life is very different compared to how it was back in my hometown, Malacca. For starters, I now share a room with somebody (no complains, though). 

No doubt, I expected university life to be very different, but I somehow ended up lost and went with the crowd. As the first semester finally draws to a close, I realise how mundane and unmeaningful a typical university student's life is. Attend lectures and tutorials, complete assignments, meet datelines, sit for exam, end. For the record, I had a very different lifestyle back home.

The reason why I enjoyed my Form 6 days was definitely not studies. It was because of my involvement in church activities. I had a purpose, a direction - to serve. To serve God in whatever I do. That was my priority back then. Serving God does not benefit Him, but ourselves. I learned a whole lot about organization as well as made a whole bunch of crazy friends along the way.

Over here, it's a whole new world. I no longer serve in a youth ministry - that takes away a huge part of who I am, since I gave my all to serving Him and my involvement in government-required activities were minimal. I guess that's why I got lost in the first place.

I used to have a good balance in life back home; physically (eat well, excercise well, sleep well), intellectually (studies, obviously), socially (friends who are like siblings), emotionally (proper channelling of stress, leisure, FUN), and spiritually (serve God). When I came over, a huge portion of social and spiritual disappeared. I never really bothered what had been lost, but just went along with the crowd, which was a whole lot of intellectual. That's when life becomes pre-programmed and mundane. 

Surely, everybody's perspective on balance is different, but I'd stick with this model, which means that I'll have to find a way to put the talents He's given me to good use - serving others!

2 comments:

  1. hey Gilbert.
    i just stumbled on your blog & i think you're doing a great job here with it!
    and i know the feeling of getting lost in this seas of people who look like they have a purpose & know what they're doing
    but i truly believe in time you'll fine you niche in the uni society & a way to serve the Lord.
    i'm sure He has a plan for u.. one He will lead u too also.. so hang in there & take care!


    - GraceG-

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not alone dude

    ReplyDelete